We are facing today one of the most critical pandemics in human history caused by COVID-19. The COVID-19 pandemic has caused global social and economic disruption, testing the limits of the healthcare system and economy of many countries. While the entire scientific community is rushing to find an effective treatment, researchers working in the field of Artificial Intelligence are devoting significant effort to contribute towards answering some of the key questions related to this pandemic. The current circumstances indicate that there exists an urgent need for data-driven multidisciplinary research in response to public health emergencies and socio-economic crises caused by COVID-19 in particular, and pandemics in general.
This special issue aims to bring together recent advances in AI methods for pandemics. In particular, we welcome interdisciplinary submissions at the interface of machine learning, signal processing, and network science in key pandemic related fields, including biology, medicine, drug discovery, epidemiology, economics, and social sciences.
The topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Imaging-based models including deep neural networks for diagnosis
- Fusion of different modalities of data sources for diagnosis and testing
- Machine learning and signal processing methods for pandemic forecasting
- Network science and epidemic models for transmission dynamics of the disease
- Machine learning and signal processing methods for drug discovery
- Modeling & prediction of healthcare capacity & demand and patient needs for efficient intervention
- Advanced data-driven techniques for forecasting and evaluating the effect of policy interventions
- Evaluation of the economic impact of pandemics using data-driven methods
- Evaluation of the social impact of pandemics using data-driven methods
Important Dates (tentative)
Manuscripts due: January 1, 2021
Review results and decision notification: March 1, 2021
Revised manuscripts due: April 1, 2021
Final acceptance notification: May 1, 2021
Publication date: July 1, 2021
Lead Guest Editor
Dorina Thanou, Swiss Data Science Center, Switzerland
Siheng Chen, Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories, US
Xiaowen Dong, University of Oxford, UK
Bruno Lepri, Fondazione Bruno Kessler, Italy
Before submitting your manuscript, please ensure you have carefully read the Instructions for Authors for EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing. The complete manuscript should be submitted through the EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing submission system. To ensure that you submit to the correct special issue please select the appropriate section in the drop-down menu upon submission. In addition, indicate within your cover letter that you wish your manuscript to be considered as part of the special issue on 'AI for Pandemics'. All submissions will undergo rigorous peer review and accepted articles will be published within the journal as a collection.
Sign up for article alerts to keep updated on articles published in EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing - including articles published in this special issue!